Pounds to Lose.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, September 1, 2013

13 Days Post-op

It is hard to believe it was 13 days ago I began this journey. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Since, I am still so weak and tired, yet this is my best day yet. I will post a time line of what I recall now before I completely forget what I wanted to share.

August 19, 2013 --- Flew to San Diego, arrive in Tijuana with Cecy, Dr. Kelly's wife.
Admitted into Nova Hospital. Had a short discussion with Dr, Kelly.
Blood tests were done, and x-rays.
Dr. Kelly arrives in my room about 2:00PM and we discuss the RNY and my decision for this surgery verses the VGS. After our discussion, Dr. Kelly understood why I choose to have a 95% guarantee to be rid of my diabetes.
I would be prepped for surgery that evening.
Surgery was performed and I awoke in a great state of pain.

August 20, 2013 --- Continuous round the clock care, drank some weird blue solution that Dr. Kelly requested. Was not allowed to drink anything. Felt extremely tired.
Dr. Kelly came in a couple of times and brought another doctor and introduced him. They kept looking at the drainage tube color. Dr. Kelly seemed concerned, the other doctor seem to tell him it would be okay. I just knew I would feel a burning sensation inside if I even had a drop of water down my throat and I was still very tired.

August 21, 2013 --- Dr. and Mrs. Kelly drove me to Angelos Hospital for my swallowing/leak test.
Dr. Kelly was noticing my extreme tiredness and inability to get around.
The leak test was painful and they made me do it twice. I could see Dr, Kelly's face through the window as he was watching the monitor and I could see real concern on his face. Without anything being said I knew something was not right.
After the test Dr. and Mrs. Kelly were making numerous phone calls. Dr. and Mrs. Kelly drove me back to the hospital and Dr. Kelly explained that he needed to go back in for surgery and he was putting his team together and they would also use a camera.
6:00 PM. I am back in the OR having revision surgery done.
Awoke in my room feeling much better than I did from the first surgery.

August 22, 2013 --- Hospital recovery.

August 23, 2013 --- Hospital recovery.

August 24,2013 --- Discharged from the hospital and take to swallowing/leaks test. Other patient who was there from Alaska was also having his done. He was walking and carrying his bags as if nothing was even done on him. Made me rethink my decision to have had this surgery done.
Passed my swallow/leak test as did the other patient.
We were both transported to Lucerna hotel which was lovely, but I was still in no shape to enjoy. I just wanted to get home.

August 25, 2013 --- Flew home, felt better to know I was back at home in the event I had anymore complications at least it was home and family was near.

August 26-29, 2013 --- Each day felt the same, continued all the antibiotics and other meds Dr. Kelly gave me when I left. Still really couldn't walk much, my side where the drainage tube was removed is still extremely sore. I am sleeping in a recliner in our bedroom next to the bathroom so hubby can assist me up out of the chair and to the bathroom. I am gaining strength and energy a little bit every day. Have severe dry mouth and I worried of getting thrush from all the antibiotics I have had.

August 30, 2013 --- Hubby is back to work today and my eldest son is left in charge of caring for me.
I begin to notice thrush developing in my mouth and throat and I am having trouble drinking and swallowing. I had some spare Fluconazole that the pharmacy dispensed to me earlier in the year and had not used. I took this about 3:00PM.

August 31, 2013 --- Day two with son's care. So thankful to have him here to help me.
My throat is feeling better. Hubby's work day is over and again he will be off with me until
Friday next week. Had hubby stop and pick up some Listerine for gargling.
Had a restless nights sleep.

September 1, 2013 --- Feeling my drainage hole wound begin to leak more. I have been applying pressure on the hard knotted areas and applying pressure and helping to discharge more the fluids.
Once I drained a lot of this fowl fluid my mobility has been better. Took a shower today, have been purposely applying pressure to drain the wounds of anything and size is going down and I feel even better. I have walked more, sat up more, and felt more alert today than any day so far.
I ate my fist semi-solid food today besides the occasional Greek yogurt. I had cream of wheat for breakfast. It tasted wonderful.
Still not sure how I feel about the entire process at this moment, but wanted to share where I was with all of you so you can be informed.

This has taken me a few hours to do with breaks in between and I am ready for rest. More updates will follow later.



No comments:

Post a Comment